Guidelines and Suggestions
To reactivate an inactive chapter of Kappa Omicron Nu, please develop a proposal for reactivation and submit it to the national office at least 6 weeks in advance of accepting new members. The proposal must include:
- The name of at least one faculty adviser who is willing to assist students in planning a program of work and annual initiations. A group of two or three advisers to share the responsibility is ideal but not required.
- The total number of qualified candidates for membership (second semester sophomores, juniors, and seniors who rank in the upper 25% of the class in the unit. Candidates from any program within the chapter's home college are eligible if the students and faculty agree that membership would be beneficial for the individual program(s). Students in online-only programs within the chapter's unit(s) are also eligible for membership.
- A plan of action for the first year of active status (we prefer quality to quantity of programming). At a minimum, the plan should include the following tasks:
- Set initiation date and issue invitations. Include due date for acceptance and initiation fee ($61.00) plus chapter dues (perhaps $5.00). Optional: Keys are available for $11.50, honor cords are $10 (or $8 each if ordered in bulk). Merchandise is also available for individual students to order online at the KON store https://members.kon.org/store/order_form.asp
- Conduct initiation, including an educational speaker.
- Elect officers.
- Advisor commitment to file timely information, forms, and initiation fees with national via kon.org/advisers. National office will supply the authorized adviser(s) with the necessary login information on approval of reactivation. We will also apply for and provide you with a tax ID number that will allow you to open a bank account for the chapter.
- Conduct a meeting to orient officers and members to Kappa Omicron Nu and plan for the rest of the year. At a minimum, each chapter year should include a Fall and/or Spring Initiation (with an educational presentation) and one additional educational event (something to focus on leadership, research, graduate study, social responsibility, etc.).
Action plans should be submitted to the National Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Kappa Omicron Nu Honor Society
PO Box 798
Okemos, MI 48805-0798
If you need anything further, a wealth of chapter forms and resources (including Tips for Successful Chapters in the chapter handbook, the officer's handbook, and much more) are available at http://kon.org/chapter_files/chapter-advisers.html, or you can contact us at email@example.com and we will be pleased to assist.