CCHS Undergraduate Research Award
Call for Undergraduate Student Research Papers
Award winner will receive: national presentation at AAFCS Annual Conference, one student registration to conference, and a $1,500 cash prize.
Application Due Date: May 1, 2023
Presentation Date: Sunday, June 25, 2023
NOW CLOSED. Check back for 2024 information!
About the Coordinating Council of Honor Societies (CCHS):
The Coordinating Council of Honor Societies (CCHS) in the Human Sciences is composed of Kappa Omicron Nu (KON) and Phi Upsilon Omicron (Phi U). This award is presented and awarded at the annual conference of the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (AAFCS). The award is supported by KON, Phi U, and AAFCS.
About the Award:
- The award winner will present in-person at a national conference – the AAFCS Annual Conference in Baltimore, MD June 22-26, 2023. This presentation is the headline feature of a luncheon for KON and Phi U members.
- One complimentary AAFCS Annual Conference student registration.
- Winner is invited to showcase their research in the AAFCS Research Poster Presentations (sponsored by the Community of Colleges, University, and Research and the Assembly of Higher Education. (The call for posters has closed to the public.)
The award winner must present the paper in-person. The award and cash prize will be bestowed at the meeting. Not attending waives any claim on winning the award.
The student whose paper is selected will present the paper under the auspices of Phi Upsilon Omicron and Kappa Omicron Nu. The presentation will be about 20 minutes followed by 10 minutes of questions and answers.
An honorarium check for $1,500 will be awarded to the presenter following the presentation.
- Must be a member of Kappa Omicron Nu or Phi Upsilon Omicron.
- Must be an undergraduate student or have been an undergraduate student at the time the research was conducted.
- Students who completed their degrees in August or December 2022 and have graduated are still eligible to be considered for this award.
- Only papers from completed research projects will be considered.
Process & Criteria
A committee of professional leaders from both sponsor honor societies will blind-review all submissions. Only one winner will be selected.
Selection of the paper for presentation will be completed and the participant notified no later than May 21, 2023.
The following criteria will be used in selecting the paper to be presented:
- Relevance to human sciences
- Scholarly presentation
- Justification for the study
- Logical organization
- Mastery of the subject
- Appropriate documentation
- Follows paper specifications and application submission procedures.
Papers submitted for consideration may describe student projects or research from seminars, independent studies, or class projects in the student’s major. Projects must be fully completed upon submission. Submissions must include:
- Cover page: Include a cover page identifying:
- author’s name, and any co-authors
- name of member honor society
- name of chapter advisor
- name of college/university
- student status (i.e., junior or senior)
- e-mail address
- phone number
- postal address
- No identification of the author or chapter should appear on the pages of the paper so that submissions may be judged blindly.
- If a research paper carries multiple authors’ names, though CCHS will acknowledge all authors of the work in marketing and presentation, the financial award is only presented to the submitting student. All researchers are not required to be KON or Phi U members, only the applicant.
- Papers should be five to ten pages in length excluding the cover page, references, and appendices.
Please submit by email attachment using the subject line: “CCHS Undergraduate Research Award” to: [email protected]
Kappa Omicron Nu
2840 West Bay Dr. #141
Belleair Bluffs, FL 33770
© 2023 Kappa Omicron Nu, All Rights Reserved