Chapter Scholar Program
1. Purpose: The purpose of the Kappa Omicron Nu Scholar Program is to recognize and encourage excellence in scholarship, research, and leadership at the local chapter level.
2. Eligibility Standards: For a national grant once each biennium, each chapter shall
- Maintain good standing (see Handbook: Criteria for Chapters in Good Standing) and
- Submit the criteria and procedure for awarding scholar grants to National Kappa Omicron Nu.
Local criteria and procedures* shall include the following minimum requirements:
- Membership in Kappa Omicron Nu
- Affirmative action/equal opportunity statement
- Description of selection process for one of the following awards:
- Undergraduate and/or graduate research
- Service Learning, including reflection about the
impact on professional development
- Excellence in communication (oral, written, visual)
- Leadership of a campus or unit change project
- Overall record of achievement (scholarship and
leadership at the unit level)
- Approval of criteria and procedures by unit administrator or designated faculty committee
3. Grants: Chapters will be awarded grants on the basis of the prior year's total initiates:
4. Chapter Obligations: Each chapter must file a national accountability form (Form 2) to document recipients of scholar grants. Scholar grants must be used for local grants to recognize and encourage excellence in scholarship, research, and leadership. Each chapter shall recognize recipients of the Kappa Omicron Nu Scholar Program through campus and hometown news releases, campus awards recognition events, bulletin boards, etc.
Chapters are encouraged, but not required, to raise local funds for scholar grants.
1. Eligibility Announcement:Chapters will be informed by August 15 of the eligibility year whether eligibility requirements have been met and the amount of the scholar grant. A form to acknowledge eligibility and to submit the name and address of the unit administrator shall be returned to the National Office. The deadline for meeting the requirements is September 30 of the eligibility year.
2. Disbursement of Funds: National grants will be distributed to the unit administrator at the beginning of the academic year following eligibility.
3. Accountability Form: Chapters shall submit the accountability form by June 1 following the receipt of the scholar grant.
4. Further Information can be secured from Kappa Omicron Nu.
ALL CHAPTERS IN GOOD STANDING ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE 2016-2017 YEAR
* Local criteria and procedures shall be filed with the National Office. Changes can be made by action of the Chapter according to the guidelines above. Amended policies shall be filed with the National Office.
See Criteria Form.